LinkedIn has blocked 21.6 million fake accounts

LinkedIn has blocked 21.6 million fake accounts

LinkedIn has blocked 21.6 million fake accounts on its platform in six months (January to June). Even the social professional threatened by fakes

LinkedIn has blocked 21.6 million fake accounts on its platform from January to June of this year, a sign that the social network owned by Microsoft is actively fighting some of the same problems that plague Facebook, Twitter and others.

Linkedin "width =" 1024 "height =" 731 "srcset =" 1024w, https: //www.digitalic. com / wp-content / uploads / 2013/05 / Linkedin_Chocolates-300x214.jpg 300w "sizes =" (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px "/></p><div class='code-block code-block-3' style='margin: 8px auto; text-align: center; display: block; clear: both;'>
<div data-ad=

LinkedIn has blocked 21.6 million fake accounts

In a blog post, the LinkedIn security manager, Paul Rockwell wrote that the vast majority of fake accounts – 19.5 million – were blocked during registrationand, which means that they have never been published on the social media. The company has identified others 2 million fake accounts and the members reported others 67,000 suspicious accounts.

LinkedIn said that 98 percent of the fake accounts were blocked or removed through the network's automated defenses and the remaining 2% were detected by humans.

We want to make sure that our community continues to be a valuable resource; that creates opportunities to find work, establish connections and improve careers , wrote Rockwell. When we delete false accounts, it means that we are improving the real opportunities that the network offers. We are committed to using every available measure to keep security intact, allowing everyone to access the economic opportunities by feeling supported and safe. "

Linkedin blocks Fake accounts

Social media has been at the forefront of a major political controversy in recent weeks. Twitter this week suspended 936 accounts linked to what it called "a significant state-backed information operation" that originated in China to try to to sabotage the anti-government protests in Hong Kong. Another 200,000 accounts were "proactively suspended before they were substantially active on the service," Twitter said. Facebook followed suit by removing several accounts, groups and pages after receiving a warning from Twitter.

As reported by the New York Times last week, LinkedIn has largely avoided misinformation and harassment problems who have been persecuting Facebook and Twitter in recent years. Experts interviewed by the Times attributed it to the existence of LinkedIn as an online extension of the office. People tend to have better behavior in front of their boss, co-workers and potential future employers.

"You talk on LinkedIn the same way you talk in the office"LinkedIn Director Dan Roth told the Times. However, LinkedIn has faced its share of fake profile problems. Earlier this year, Digiday documented the experiences of executives who receive a high volume of messages from what appear to be fake accounts with strange requests and a grammar that leaves something to be desired.

LinkedIn, today has 645 million members worldwide. Last year it generated revenues of over $ 5.3 billion. As the Times notes, it is about half of Instagram's Facebook-owned revenue and about a tenth of Facebook as a whole but also double the revenue generated by Twitter.