OS X El Capitan the operating system from Apple that can be easily installed on all compatible Macs. If you have a Windows PC that is not a Mac, this guide will show you how to install OS X El Capitan on a PC with Virtualbox. Usually installing OS X on PC a bit complicated operation. It must be verified that all the hardware components of the PC are compatible with the Mac operating system. Having done this operation, you need to obtain the necessary drivers and continue with the installation. This process is called Hackintosh and we talked about it in the article how to install OS X El Capitan Hackintosh on PC.
Below I would like to offer you a simpler solution that does not include much knowledge in the Hackintosh field. To complete the installation of OS X El Capitan on PC we will use VirtualBox. For the purposes of this guide, a PC with Windows installed is required to proceed.
VirtualBox a software available for all platforms that allows you to virtualize an entire operating system. It will be enough to install the desired operating system and then start the app on Windows and, in a dedicated window, you will be able to use an operating system different from the one actually installed on the PC.
VirtualBox a totally free software. Through a series of modifications it allows the installation of OS X El Capitan on a PC, whether based on an Intel or Amd platform.
- A PC with Windows 7, 8 or 10 64-bit.
- Minimum 3GB of RAM.
- The VirtualBox software for Windows – Link Download (download the version for Windowa hosts).
- OS X El Capitan – Download Link.
After downloading everything you need, you can proceed to read this guide to install OS X El Capitan on PC with VirtualBox.
Install OS X El Capitan on PC with VirtualBox
- First, extract the OS X El Capitan archive downloaded previously.
- Install the software VirtualBox following the guided procedure.
- Once the installation is complete, start the program.
- Create a new virtual machine. To do so Select icon New top left.
- Fill in the fields as follows:
- Name: El Capitan
- Type: Mac OS X
- Version: Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (64-bit)
- After filling in the fields, select Come on.
- Now you will have to assign the amount of RAM to assign to OS X El Capitan. This field varies depending on how much RAM is installed on your PC. For example, if you have 3GB, assign 2560MB. If you have 8GB, you can assign 4096MB. The more RAM you assign to OS X, the more responsive it will be. Try to assign about half of the RAM available to OS X El Capitan, in order to leave the rest to Windows. If you were to leave a minimum amount of RAM to Windows, you might notice a lot of slowdowns when using OS X.
- When you have defined how much RAM to assign, select Come on.
- Select Use an existing virtual disk file. Click the folder icon and open the file OS X 10.11 El Capitan Retail.vmdk previously extracted. Select Create.
Configure the Virtual Machine
- Now right click on the virtual machine El Capitan just created and select Settings.
- From the left bar select System and on the right moved to the tab Processor.
- Set 2 processors and enable the voice Enable PAE / NX. If your PC's processor has more than 4 CPUs, you can also set a higher value, being careful not to re-enter the red zone. For example in my case I have 8CPU and I can also select 3 processors.
- Open the tab Motherboard. Disable Floppy, enable the voice Enable EFI and to the voice Chipsset select PIIX3.
- Select OK to confirm the new settings.
- At this point you need to start the Command Prompt as an administrator. To do this, click on Start in Windows 7 and type cmd in the search field. On Windows 10 instead type cmd in Cortana's search in the taskbar. From the search result, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Now copy the following commands, pasted one by one in the command prompt and type enter to confirm:
cd "C:Program FilesOracleVirtualBox"
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "El Capitan" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata "El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"
VBoxManage setextradata "El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"
VBoxManage setextradata "El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"
VBoxManage setextradata "El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc
VBoxManage setextradata "El Capitan" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1
This all. Now you can double click on El Capitan to start OS X El Capitan on PC and start the guided configuration.
The operations to install OS X El Capitan on PC with VirtualBox very simple. At the end of the operations you will be able to use Apple's operating system also on your Windows PC. If you have any problems contact us via the comments at the end of this article.